Sunday, April 24, 2016

Thoughts on Fundraising

Hey guys!! It's good get back to blogging after a very productive April break.  I must say, it was really nice to hang out in UB's music department all week and pretend to be an undergrad music major again.  

On to this weeks topic, fundraising.  Specifically, should we have to rely on parents and fundraising to run a modern BOJC (band, orchestra, jazz, choral) program?  Like many of the topics I've talked about on this blog, this is the first time I'm developing a philosophy on fundraising, so here we go.

I want my students to have the best opportunity to use quality music equipment.  With today's advancements in music technology, quality music equipment has become much more affordable (I'm talking about speakers, microphones, and amplifiers, NOT tubas, violins, and cellos).  I really like to be current with the trends in music equipment and I believe that I can build a choral+general music program on a smart and friendly budget.  My school budget would be dedicated primarily to purchasing repertoire, essential music equipment, and maintaining school instruments.  I have absolutely no problem using my own equipment in my classroom if it gives my students the best opportunity to create, perform, and respond.

In my ideal music program, fundraising would be set aside for funding special events and class trips.  I have a very DIY mentality and I'm not very comfortable with asking parents to volunteer their time to work fundraisers and invest time and money into my program.  This is something I am really going to have to work on in the future.

On the flip side, Instrumental ensembles require instruments that are very expensive and I am much less of an expert in the price ranges of these instruments.  I believe that students should have their own quality instruments and parents should be very informed on their options when financing an instrument.  However, large instruments, such as double basses, bass drums, and some low brass instruments should be owned and maintained by the school.  Fundraising is very necessary to purchase and maintain such instruments for instrumental program.

To wrap up, I believe fundraising is not as necessary to maintain a modern choral or general music program, but a definite must for band, orchestra, and jazz ensembles.  I still have tons to learn about budgets and funding and I look forward to learning more about the matter from my fellow classmates and colleagues.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the same boat as you, John. Fundraising for a program is relatively new to me, too.
    Keeping up to date music tech. equipment is most likely a must, especially with all of the advancements in it over the last few years. Kids at home and on their phones already have access to fun, exciting music softwRe at little or no cost...their music teachers must have knowledge on how to use it

    ReplyDelete