Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Movie Reflection: Chops (No Spoilers!)

The 2007 documentary Chops follows the Douglas Anderson School of the Arts' jazz combo from the first day of school to their participation in the Essentially Ellington High School Jazz Band Competition & Festival.  The prestigious competition is hosted by Jazz at Lincoln Center's artistic director Winston Marsalis.

The first thing that struck me was the level of musicianship all these young students had.  Many understand the elements of music and the elements of jazz far better than I do.  It's pretty intimidating.  The culture of music programs with traditions of competitive excellence something I'm not familiar with; yet I find it quite fascinating.  

When I see movies like Chops and TV shows such as Sing it on! and Taking the Stage (throwback!) I often think to myself, "What if I took guitar lessons at 6 years old?  What if I payed more attention to music than sports growing up?  How different would I be if I attended a performing arts school, did all state choir, and sang Division 1 a Capella?  Did I miss out?"

Sure I'd most likely be a way better musician than I am right now.  But you know what?  I'm very happy with where I am, where I'm going, and what I've accomplished on my never ending quest to master my craft as a musician and as an educator.

The students in Chops are clearly passionate about music and have a love and respect for jazz that's beyond the comprehension of most teenagers.  How can I create a culture where my students love music to the extent of these incredibly talented young musicians?  Then I'm introduced to the fabulous Wynton Marsalis:

The first thing that people want to know is that it's alright to be themselves.  If you're six years old you wanna know that.  "Hey, is it alright for me to be me?"  And jazz tells you, "Yeah man, that's the thing that IS alright."
-Wynton Marsalis

What a fantastic thought!  In that moment I instantly thought the singers in my internship's glee club. I think of how many students try to impersonate their favorite pop singers; clearly not singing as themselves.  How many of these students don't think their own voice is good enough?

I can create love for music and performing in my classroom by creating a culture where individuality is praised; where kids learn to love themselves as musicians and as people.  A culture where kids embrace the highs and lows of the journey from first rehearsal to final concert.  A journey where student's find their own voice or style though proper technique and learn to blend their unique timbre with the rest of the ensemble, creating one voice, one heartbeat.

My job is to awaken possibility in other people.  If their eyes are shining, you know you're doing it.  If  they're not shining you get to ask this question: "Who am I being that my children's eyes are not shining"
-Benjamin Zander


No comments:

Post a Comment